Spring peepers
From the open window of our bedroom, John and I can hear spring peepers. Our house sits on the side of a huge city park with fields, woods, and water. There is a small pond that we have been visiting every few days very near our house. Today we saw two hawks eating some tasty morsels next to it. We were only 10 feet from them. We have seen a turtle and TONS of tadpoles. It will be a great place for Opal and Iris to explore. We are going to plan a tadpole catching party soon.
Our house is great. There is tons more room. Opal and Iris just had their room painted while we went to Florida. I took the girls to FL last week. Pictures will arise soon. When we returned home, the girls had freshly painted rooms, pink and green for Opal and Iris, respectively. The house is slowly coming together. At first I felt this rush to try and get all the rooms in order, but after doing some reading, I have slowed down in order to let the creative juices flow and to try to make more of what goes into the rooms. I now have plans to crochet a rag rug and sew applique (sp) on Iris's curtains. I am in the crafty mood again. Tonight I am hemming curtains.
In other news, we have procured a plot in the community garden that is footsteps from our house. It is 25 by 50 feet - the largest garden I have ever attempted. I think I am most excited about this right now and in the planning stages, for spring is here and we need to get some veggies in the ground. We will plant potatoes, onions, broccoli, cabbage, kale, chard, lettuce, and sweet peas early. Currently the truck is loaded with horse manure. John and I will spread and till that this weekend. Then we need to build a tall fence around our plot, to keep the deer out. We are determined to show Opal and Iris where our food comes from. Because Opal has been around other kids in the garden, she has taken to eating more raw vegetables. Today she ate 2 green pepper strips - whoa - huge for Opal to even try them. This spring and summer, our family will farm (sort of).
Stay tuned for more gardening updates.
Our house is great. There is tons more room. Opal and Iris just had their room painted while we went to Florida. I took the girls to FL last week. Pictures will arise soon. When we returned home, the girls had freshly painted rooms, pink and green for Opal and Iris, respectively. The house is slowly coming together. At first I felt this rush to try and get all the rooms in order, but after doing some reading, I have slowed down in order to let the creative juices flow and to try to make more of what goes into the rooms. I now have plans to crochet a rag rug and sew applique (sp) on Iris's curtains. I am in the crafty mood again. Tonight I am hemming curtains.
In other news, we have procured a plot in the community garden that is footsteps from our house. It is 25 by 50 feet - the largest garden I have ever attempted. I think I am most excited about this right now and in the planning stages, for spring is here and we need to get some veggies in the ground. We will plant potatoes, onions, broccoli, cabbage, kale, chard, lettuce, and sweet peas early. Currently the truck is loaded with horse manure. John and I will spread and till that this weekend. Then we need to build a tall fence around our plot, to keep the deer out. We are determined to show Opal and Iris where our food comes from. Because Opal has been around other kids in the garden, she has taken to eating more raw vegetables. Today she ate 2 green pepper strips - whoa - huge for Opal to even try them. This spring and summer, our family will farm (sort of).
Stay tuned for more gardening updates.
0 Comments:
Post a Comment
<< Home